Spring is here, the time for the changing of the seasons and renewal of the body through detoxification. The artichoke is blooming and we can take advantage of its benefits for eliminating toxins and losing weight.
Recipe for Artichokes in Lemon
- 8-10 fresh or frozen artichoke hearts
- 1/2 package of baby carrots
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coarse Atlantic salt
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- Peel the fresh artichokes down to the bottom. Sprinkle lemon juice to avoid its turning black and cut into quarters.
- Soften the artichoke hearts for 7-10 minutes in the microwave or boil in saltwater until partially soft.
- In a pot, combine water, turmeric, salt, olive oil and lemon and bring to a boil. Then add the artichoke hearts and the carrots. When brought to a boil reduce heat and continue cooking until the sauce thickens.
- Adjust seasoning
Artichoke, lemon, and turmeric—a combination of ingredients for detoxification in one simple recipe!
Benefits of Artichoke
- The artichoke contains silymarin, an ingredient that aids in detoxification by activating and improving liver function, increasing the elimination of bile juices, reducing cholesterol and fats in the blood and increasing urination—detox through the kidneys.
- The low-calorie artichoke contains a number of other important ingredients as well, including potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium, folic acid, Vitamin C, quercetin, silymarin and Gallic acid, all of which are strong anti-acids.
- Artichokes also are high in fiber, which aids in balancing sugar levels and maintaining the proper functioning of the digestive system.
Benefits of Lemon
- The lemon activates the liver and the production of digestive enzymes and thereby prevents problems like constipation. It is rich in Vitamin C, strengthens the immune system, increases white blood cells and important antioxidants.
Benefits of Turmeric
- Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory properties as well as an antioxidant. It is thought to reduce the risk of cancer and strengthen the immune system and it helps reduce gas and relax the digestive system and support the liver.